For the meat filling:
- 1 pound (450g) of beef, chicken, or pork (your choice)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the toppings:
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup grated cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Sour cream
- Prepare the Meat Filling:
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the finely chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently.
- Now, add the meat of your choice (beef, chicken, or pork) to the skillet. Break it up with a spoon and cook until it’s browned and fully cooked.
- Add the ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper to the meat mixture. Mix well, and let it cook for another 3-5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Warm the Tortillas:
- While the meat filling is cooking, warm the corn tortillas. You can do this by wrapping them in a damp kitchen towel and microwaving for 30 seconds or heating them in a dry skillet for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Assemble the Tacos:
- Take a warm corn tortilla and place a generous amount of the meat filling in the center.
- Top the meat with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, chopped cilantro, and diced red onion.
- If desired, add a dollop of salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream on top.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve the assembled tacos on a large platter alongside lime wedges.
- Let your guests customize their tacos with their favorite toppings and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Enjoy your authentic Mexican tacos with family and friends!
Note: Feel free to adjust the toppings and seasonings according to your preferences. You can also make these tacos with different types of meat or use vegetarian alternatives like grilled vegetables or beans for a delicious meat-free option.